Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boisestate78

Slingbox hacker

2 posts in this topic

Do I need to worry about someone taking my Slingbox info and using that to get into my network. Do hackers have the ability to access the IP address and get into your network through port 5001? I m just a little concerned about having an open port on my router and then giving access to my sling to a stranger on the internet. Should I be worried? Are there things I can do to protect myself?

Here's the thing.

I've been a Slingbox owner for 4 years now, and just because you give your finder ID and password to somebody you don't know doesn't mean your whole internet will be hacked, the only thing this person would have access to is your Slingbox and your Cable or Satellite box. Besides, opening your port just allows you to watch your Slingbox wherever you go, and it absolutely has nothing to do with your network being hacked.

It's still okay to share your Slingbox with other people, that's what this forum is for. But if you do suspect something suspicious from your Cable/Satellite box (like somebody ordering pay-per-view movies without your consent for example), just change your password, that's what I'd do.

I hope this answers your question!