Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
subtlecaffeine

Don't be rude to non-dedicated boxes

4 posts in this topic

I don't know if it was the person I share with from here, but I'm just throwing this out here to people.

If you are sharing your Sling and the box you're accessing has been indicated as a non-dedicated box; don't try to over-ride what someone there is doing. It's quite rude to change someone's channel when they're physically watching something. Once in a while is ok, as you never have idea if the TV at that location is being used.

But if you find your channel change requests getting "canceled", or the channel flips back to whatever it was on...for the love of god...don't keep trying to watch something else. It should be pretty obvious if someone hits cancel every time you bring up a channel change that someone is actually watching the TV.

It's like walking in to someone's house, stealing the remote, and changing it from what they were watching. I won't put up with that; I won't put up with spending 20 minutes fighting someone just because they want to watch Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Basically, don't be a dick. If someone else is watching TV at that location; don't try to use the Slingbox to take control. You won't win. You'll just piss off sharers who will decide it's not worth the effort of sharing with inconsiderate people.

I recently got confirmation it was some "outside" friend I gave access to because I tend to be a nice guy. 

But still...for the sake of other exchanges, don't be rude.

I recently got confirmation it was some "outside" friend I gave access to because I tend to be a nice guy. 

But still...for the sake of other exchanges, don't be rude.

But if you've been promised it's a dedicated device and you are paying for the exclusivity, would you still need to be nice about that?

But if you've been promised it's a dedicated device and you are paying for the exclusivity, would you still need to be nice about that?

No. dedicated paid services are a different animal.